In my experience, there are two types of advertising techniques being used at the moment by businesses – direct response advertising and branding advertising. The former is by the far the most productive way of advertising for the smaller business as it allows a way of monitoring ROI usually through making a direct ‘offer’ or appeal to the reader backed up with a simple call to action. The retail sector use this type of advertising i.e.”our product is now on sale at a reduced price, call us to find out more…”
- Put the key points in the first line of each sentance to encourage people to read on
- never repeat the headline in the first line of the text
- keep in mind that you only have 5-10 seconds for your main message to be absorbed
- use simple, clear language
- avoid gender or age bias
- only ask questions that the reader will reply positively too
- use active rather than passive words
- check the friendliness of your work by reading out aloud – if it sounds stilted, start again
- keep lines to between 20 and 60 characters in length
- make sure that YOU is used more often that I or WE
- use evocative words to help paint the picture
Keep these in mind and your advertising will be more effective!
If you have a marketing problem, fill out the brief form on my website and I will come back to you within 24 hours.