Marketing Communication is basically the process of using different communication channels and tools to communicate marketing information to target groups and desired parties.
Marketing departments use various communication channels such as web, radio, printed media, billboards, opinion leaders, word of mouth, sponsorships and many other ways like television. This is also known as the promotion which is a key factor of the marketing mix (Product, Price, Place, and Promotion) or else called as 4Ps. The whole process of marketing is executed through this marketing communication mix.
Marketing communication can be further explained using a sort of ice burg theory. It is the tip of the iceberg and it is the highlighted and visible process. All other marketing mix activities are not directly visible to customers. Therefore this is one of the most important factors of marketing operations and these tools below are used to achieve marketing goals and objectives of an organisation.
Marketing Communication Tools/Strategies.
• Advertising – Communicating text, audio or visual messages through various communication channels with the intention of promoting products and brands and to provide information.
• Sales Promotion – An incentive given to either consumers or traders to grow sales for a short period of time.
• Personal Selling – Sales persons making sales by approaching individual customers personally.
• Direct Marketing – This is a way of communicating promotional details and other information directly to customers.
• Public Relations (PR) – The process of developing and maintaining a positive image of the company by good communication with the public and society.
• Digital Marketing – Marketing products and services through digital channels and mediums such as websites, E-mails, social media, search engines etc.
• Sponsorships – Financial or nonfinancial support given to a third part with the intention of using the third part to do marketing activities.
• Event Marketing – Organising online or offline events and activities attached to the brand or the product to promote the brand and the product through experiential marketing.
Combination of the marketing communication mix is not the same for every business; it differs with the type of business, size of the business, target market, type of the product etc.
Today Digital Marketing has influenced a lot on this subject. Therefore it is vital to create an effective and bespoke marketing communication mix combining the above tools. This is your marketing strategy.